Dealing with temperamental technology can make you curse the day the silicon computer chip was invented. Fortunately, you have options when it comes to your Apple Watch.
Like your iPhone, you can both restart and factory reset your Apple Watch. These features are intended for different situations: restarting your device will help if your Apple Watch has stopped responding. You should only reset your Apple Watch it you want to wipe all of your content from the device and return it to factory settings.
We’ll take you through the steps below. Questions? Let us know in the comments.
Apple Watch Reset
You should only reset your device if you want to delete all of your content. That includes your installed apps, your photos, your music — everything. Also called a “hard reset,” an Apple Watch reset will return your device to factory settings, so it’ll be like new.
When To Reset Apple Watch
- You’re trying to resell your device, and you want to delete all your data
- You want to connect your Apple Watch to a new phone
- Your device is frozen or otherwise not responding, and a soft reset isn’t helping
- You forgot your passcode and have locked your Apple Watch
How To Reset Apple Watch
- Open “Settings” in your device.
- Go to “General”
- Scroll down until you see “Reset”
- Select “Erase all content and settings”
- Enter your passcode and confirm the reset
- When your screen changes to an Apple logo, it has fully reset
You’ll need to set up and pair your device to an iPhone in order to use it.
If you’re resetting your Apple Watch because it wasn’t responding at all, you can restore your settings when you set up your Apple Watch with the same iPhone. Just tap “Restore from backup” and follow the steps on the screen.
Apple Watch Restart
Restarting your Apple Watch — also called a “soft reset” — will preserve your content and settings.
When To Restart Apple Watch
- Your device isn’t responding
- Your Apple Watch isn’t shutting down
- Certain features aren’t working, and you don’t want to perform a full factory reset
How To Restart Apple Watch
- Press and hold the side button below the Digital Crown until you see the Power Off slider
- Turn off your device by dragging the slider
- Once it turns off, press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo
If your screen isn’t responding, you can also press and hold the side button and Digital Crown simultaneously. Release the buttons after about 10 seconds.
Check back here for video tutorials and a link to set up your Apple Watch!